Sunday, June 10, 2012




Reading the novel page by page, I found it difficult to understand few lines.
I am always advised by my literary friends to read very refined works of writer after reading a lot others, in other words I wasn't mature enough to read these "Booker" and "Nobel" nominated works. But I don't care, I am in mood to read Gurudev's Gitanjali, the poet who bought the Nobel Prize in literature in 1913, first Nobel to colonial India and then one after another we claimed the last one, received by V. Ramakrishnan. Saying he is PIO (Person of Indian origin). Where were our criteria when “ribosome man” requested for a lab project in India to then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
Anyway I liked the way the Nobel laureate replied to Indian Diaspora after getting the prize.
Tit for tat.
In Indian poets Tagore has influenced my life more than others, the reason I don't understand, maybe I have many Bengali friends. If this is valid reason then I have more friends  from uttarakhand, I should be more influenced by Sumitra Nandan Pant.  But exceptions are always inevitable.
Talking about Tagore, I still remember his poems, starting from national anthem which we learnt, and sing daily in morning assembly’s right from kindergarten to Pre University.
Still in many occasion I proudly stand n feel the nationalism rushing through my veins when national anthem is played.
Then in mid school we came across his poem “where the head is held high and mind is without fear"
Whether Tagore helped me in broadening of my spectrum in literature is a controversial aspect for me, but he surely helped me in keeping dreadlocks. Yes! Many times when I encountered inquisitive people asking about my hairs, I escaped by saying that I am copying Gurudev’s.
Talking about  SEA OF POPPIES, it’s a good novel with Bhojpuri as toppings on very excellent English, the choice of words, the sense of imagination, the jargon of mariners, all stupendous.
The story starts in different part of colonial India, Ghazipur and Kolkata, all characters later come under one roof, the IBIS...a ship...And later story ends with two of prisoner escaping from the ship.
The story ends, to be continued in next novel...to be in shelves in few months.
Completing the novel in 14 hours, I was exhausted totally. So i grab a short nap of few hours.
I woke up by sound of my alarm, no snoozing, I thought as I pressed "ok" tab on screen.
I carefully placed the book in my bag and pushed in beneath the bed, postponing the idea of unpacking it.
Facing the power failure in my incredible India, waiting for 3hrs to resume it normally...The next thing I did is to write this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment